Between the hurricane and July 4th weekend I’ve been having to do pretty short posts.
- Heavy fighting has been occurring over the last few days between the YPG and IS around Zor Maghar, al-Bayada, and al-Ziyara in Aleppo. At least 8 IS fighters were killed today.
- YPG fighters who died fighting the IS in Zor Maghar were mutilated and hanged in a town square by the IS.
- Rebels say that government forces have not captured the districts neighboring Sheikh Najjar in Aleppo, including Tal Sha’eer village near the Infantry school.
- In al-Raqqa province, 5 IS fighters were killed and 2 captured by the YPG in fighting in rural Tal Abyad.
- The IS has taken every oil field in Rif Deir Ez Zor except the al-Ward field. They are selling barrels of oil in their areas at $18/barrel in an attempt to increase their popularity. The oil was sold for $30-50/barrel when under rebel control.
- The IS plans to distribute gas cylinders to civilians under their control in Syria.
- The IS has expelled around 30,000 civilians from their homes in the town of Shuheil in Deir Ez Zor province, which they captured from Jabhat al-Nusra on Thursday. Another 30,000 people have been forced out of their homes in the towns of Khosham and Tabia Jazeera.
- The UN said that 6.6 million Syrian children are in need of aid. So far the UN has only received 37% of the $770 million dollars that it needs until the end of the year for Syrian children.
- The Kurdish Communities Union (KCK) has called on Kurds from Syria, Iraq, Turkey, and Iran to help protect the key city of Kobane from the IS.
- The Syrian National Coalition said that the Syrian army is preparing for a major attack on rebel-held areas of Aleppo city.
- Syrian planes carried out three raids against gunmen inside Lebanese territory around Arsal, killing 4 people and wounding 7.